Thursday, June 29, 2006

Free Visa Entry into Singapore For Indian Citizens

On my way back from Melbourne, I planned to stop over at Singapore for a coupla days to meet up with a very close friend of mine. So called up the Singaporean High Commission in Canberra to enquire on the process of applying for a tourist visa. To my pleasant surprise, the lady at the other end informed me that I did not require a visa to enter Singapore as I held a valid Aussie work permit!! That entitled me to a "Visa Free Transit facility" for 96 hours.

Whoa.. thts music to ur ears.. I re-confirmed with the lady and just to be sure shot off a mail to the High Commission for clarification. Copying the reply tht i recvd back.

To cut a long story short, landed in SGP , cleared immigration with ease (keep ur onward confirmed tkt in hand for inspection) and spent two gr8 days in Singapore.

Here's the mail from the High Commission:
96-hour Visa Free Transit Facilities (VFTF) for PRC and Indian nationals

For a limited period starting from 1 October 2005, 96-hour visa free transit facilities (VFTF) will be available to PRC and Indian nationals without the need of letters of guarantee by airlines if they are in possession of a valid onward air ticket departing within the next 96-hours and satisfy the following criteria:

Possess a valid visa/long term pass (validity of at least 1 month) issued by any of the following countries*:
a. Australia
b. Canada
c. Japan
d. New Zealand
e. United Kingdom
f. United States of America
g. Germany
h. Switzerland

The 96-hour VFTF is eligible to PRC and Indian nationals who are in transit to or from any third country. However, transit passengers who satisfy the above criteria are not guaranteed entry but are still subjected to Singapore's prevailing entry requirements.

Transit passengers who satisfy all the above requirements and allowed entry will be granted a stay of up to 96-hours (4 days) in Singapore. Extension of stay for transit passengers under this VFTF scheme is strictly not allowed.

* More countries may be added. Please check with the Singapore Visitors Centres at Changi Airport for more information.

10 comments:

Sujith said...

Hey this is cool stuff man...I doubt if a Malaysian work Permit will hold good!!!

Anonymous said...

same thing happened to sherry.
He had a valid work permit frm US.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bala
I am planning to make avail of this facility. I am going back to India from US. what are the things that i need to do to avail this facility? are we free to go on our own? i mean should we submit our passport etc etc... please can u send me a detailed mail to mailappu@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I and my wife are Indian nationals living in Bangalore. We are planning a 10 days tourist visit to China (PRC). Since Singapore is the transit point, we were thinking of spending 2 or 3 days on our return trip, especially after seeing the VFTF on the website for PRC and Indian nationals. Fortunately, I checked with the Singapore Consulate-General at Chennai and it turns out that only those PRC and Indian nationals who hold visas to any of the 8 countries listed and who are in transit at Singapore are eligible; also it is not clear whether those who were holding single entry visas would still be eligible as their visas would have been cancelled while leaving.
Now we have to apply for visas in the regular manner.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bala...
Nice to have read your blog...
I'm on work permit to AU.
And now on our way back to India for a holiday, we want to stay in Singapore for 3 days or so. But the catch is, I'm only able to book individual tickets on Tiger Airways like Perth to Singapore & Return and then Singapore to Chennai & Return...
So I need to check-out my luggage and then check-in again on my own...meaning it's not a connecting flight...Is that fine with VFTF? Will I still be valid for it?

It's very urgent...Can you pls reply me to johnpeterc@gmail.com?

Thanks.

T Senthil Durai said...

Hi
This is a good Facility to visit Singapore when we travel from USA or to USA.

I have used this facility two times.

Senthil Durai T

tsdurai@gmail.com

T Senthil Durai said...

http://www.visitsingapore.com

This Website have details of VFTF.

Anonymous said...

This good stuff, free visa entry into Singapore for Indian citizens. You can also find information about Emigrate to spain.

Salt-Lamp said...

Hey this is cool stuff man...I doubt if a Malaysian work Permit will hold good!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing such great information.
It has help me in finding out more detail about "Singapore Visa For Indians"