Thursday, June 29, 2006

Growing Up!!

My first memory of the football world cup was some fleeting moments during the 86 one @ Mexico. However the first one that I followed thoroughly was Italia 90 way back as a 10 year old!! As luck would have it, I was recovering from a surgery to my foot and had the entire month off from school!! :)

So there I was watching soccer matches at the dead of night, with my red-eyed parents popping in every now n then to remind me of the unearthly time. Watching Lothar Matthaeus, Maradona, Scilacci n the rest create magic with their feet, I dreamt of being a football star!! ;) ok smirks n grins accepted.. i was just a 10 year old who still had hope growing up.. Hope of doing almost everything when I grow up!! From a football star to playing in the Wimbledon to starring in Hollywood/Bollywood to being the UN Secy General to Winning the Nobel and what not!!

Fast Forward 16 years.. Done with school n college n hv been earning for abt 5 years now!! As I watch World Cup 2006, I realize tht 99% of the stuff that I wanted to do as a kid might just never happen.. If I am lucky i cud end up with atleast 1%!! But hey all is not lost .. I cud potentially still be the UN Secy General or might even notch up a Nobel.. As they say.. Umeed pe Duniya Kayam Hain!! :)

2 comments:

Alistair D'souza said...

nobel prize... a noble thought... hmmm... so when do I get your autograph... I'll sell it for like a gazillion dollars when you get the big one.. :-)

lets meetup over the weekend...

Alistair D'souza said...

86 was also my first worldcup.... tried to keep track of the worldcups after that.... schillaci.... yeah remember him.... real good player... argentina scraped into the later half and peaked... remember maradona crying when they lost in the finals...